Job title: Manager, Donor Relations
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Development
Type of position: Full-time, Exempt
Regular hours worked: 35 per week
This individual is a valuable member of the Development Team and is responsible for developing and implementing engagement and fundraising strategies to enhance our relationships with current and prospective donors within the Philanthropy and Corporate Relations portfolios. The role includes supporting a portfolio of approximately $3 million; assisting with select events; supervising one staff member and managing special projects throughout the year. Paramount to this position is the ability to work with a high degree of independence, and juggle various projects at once, while maintaining a clear view of how each project supports the organization’s mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Managing Support for Key Organizational Relationships
- With guidance from the Director, Philanthropy and Director, Corporate Relations, execute and manage communication with top donors including recognition, on-going stewardship and continued cultivation opportunities to enhance their relationship with Make-A-Wish Metro New York and increase the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Supporting a portfolio of individual and corporate donors with an estimated annual goal of over $3 million.
- Solicitation activities in relation to internal fundraising events with current top donors in the Philanthropy and Corporate Relations portfolio.
- Executes and manages cause marketing campaigns including volunteer management, event logistics, and outreach to local representatives and other stakeholders, as needed.
- Coordinate all development-related Board activities including scheduling and meeting logistics, as well as additional administrative tasks as needed.
- Directs stewardship events and activities including creating “mission moments” for our donors. Includes initiating new and creative stewardship approaches with minimal supervision.
- Manages and executes special projects throughout the year including creation and execution of collateral material.
- Draft written communications as needed.
- Manage and mentor the Coordinator, Donor Care to support the department’s administrative and prospect research needs.
- Serves as a model for interdepartmental collaboration and communication, stewarding both external and internal constituents, driving the needs of the Philanthropy and Corporate Relations portfolios forward while ensuring best practices.
- Contributes to the creation and execution of the Department’s Annual Plan.
- Maintains compliance with Make-A-Wish America brand standards and policies.
- Assist with other Development Department efforts, as assigned.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension; Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; Keeps others adequately informed; Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Displays courtesy and sensitivity; Meets commitments; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Commits to doing the best job possible; Follows instruction; Keeps commitments; Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Takes responsibility for own actions.
Planning & Organization
- Integrates changes smoothly; Plans for additional resources; Prioritizes and plans work activities; Sets goals and objectives; Uses time efficiently; Works in an organized manner.
- Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes; Measures key outcomes; Sets clear quality requirements; Solicits and applies customer feedback.
Use of Technology
- Adapts to new technologies; demonstrates required skills; Keeps technical skills up to date; Troubleshoots technological problems; Uses technology to increase productivity.
In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of Development experience required, preferably working with high-net worth individuals and/or leading stewardship or fundraising events.
- Comfort, confidence and experience speaking directly to high-net worth individuals.
- Must be proficient and experienced working in Raiser’s Edge or equivalent database.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and strong prioritization ability.
- Success in managing multiple deadlines and able to multi-task.
- Ability to meet deadlines and deliver high-quality work.
- Professional, confident and driven work style with a positive, team orientated spirit.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards with the ability to represent the organization professionally and responsibly.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All staff may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed. The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies.