Reports to: Director, Medical, Volunteer and Community Engagement
Type of Position: Intern
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
The Medical Outreach Intern will work directly with the Medical and Mission Delivery staff to provide support across key organizational initiatives. This role is instrumental in working with internal and external clients in an effort to achieve the overarching goal of granting wishes to every eligible child.
The is the ideal experience for someone looking into a career into non-profit sector, public affairs, public health, psychology, social work, and hospital administration, although we welcome all interested applicants.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports Associate and Manager with department functions regarding referrals, medical verification process, referrals, and travel authorization process
- Coordinate referral intake and qualification process, ensuring proper data entry and management of the Wish Module System and Salesforce, appropriate coordination of referral documentation, and health professional records.
- Onboards wish families with all necessary documents inclusive to completing the Welcome Call, complexity score, and emails and mails the Welcome Packet to Wish Families.
- Reviews and updates wish family cases as needed in Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce
- Collaborates with Mission Delivery team to support all communication with medical professionals.
- Builds, develops, and coordinates with department regarding relationships with medical professionals.
- Identify new referral sources and communicate to Director, Medical, Community and Volunteer Engagement Relations.
- Proactively engages in process and policy improvement efforts by keeping abreast of national policies, guidelines and resources related to medical verification
- Collaborates with Medical, Community and Volunteer Engagement team to strategize on-going communications, including but not limited to: emails, phone calls, and mailings to families and medical professionals.
- Coordinates ongoing referral source appreciation and recognition efforts.
- Participates as a team player to attain annual goals, objectives and long-range planning as directed by the Mission Delivery team.
- Safeguards confidential information per National Performance Standards.
- Coordinate communication and training of volunteers for events and projects.
- Assist Regional Director, Medical and Community Relations with execution of planned marketing efforts.
- BA/BS or in process obtaining equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships, initiate action, adjust to change, and persuade at all levels.
- Manage multiple tasks effectively and achieve objectives.
- Solid team player who provides stellar customer service in a professional and pleasant manner.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential staff, donor and volunteer information.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to learn proprietary systems and tools quickly.
- Create compelling fact-based presentation in conclusion of internship.
- Bilingual is a plus.
- Improve interpersonal and professional skill set
- Learn to effectively multi-task.
- Learn to work well with others (both staff members and other interns).
- Gain a deep understanding of what the non-profit sector is all about.
- Be able to reflect both critically and constructively on your work as an intern for Make-A-Wish.
- Provide a short end-of-term presentation for staff members and other interns on your experience and what you learned during your internship.
- Must satisfy a minimum requirement of 100 hours
Physical Requirements / Work Environment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All staff may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed. The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies.