Job title: Manager, Medical, Community and Volunteer Engagement
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Director, Medical, Community and Volunteer Engagement
Type of position: Full-time, Exempt
Regular hours worked: 35 per week
This position is responsible for the design, development and implementation of a comprehensive volunteer program for the Chapter. This includes recruiting, assessing, orienting, assisting, communicating with, acknowledging, and retaining volunteers within the onboarding process. He/she will assist with organizing community events, trainings and gatherings of community councils. This position will support the functions of the Interactive Medical Eligibility portal within the Wish and Volunteer Center.
He/she is to act as a member of the team in supporting coworkers and supervisors in accomplishing the Chapter objective set forth by the Director, Medical, Community and Volunteer Engagement, COO and CEO.
Essential Job Functions:
• Support Director in analyzing trends and reviewing data – creating a 3-year vision for the department as well as multi-year plans.
• Manage inquiries from new medical, community and volunteer constituents to ensure effective communication and engagement in ways to be involved.
• Evaluate and establish program for all medical, community and volunteer recognition events, identifying opportunities for medical, community and volunteer networking events.
• Lead recognition events and coordinates with support from Mission Delivery team.
Volunteer Management & Cultivation:
• Ensure effective and timely communication amongst applicants to support transition to volunteer role. Establishes and implements volunteer connection with the Operations Team during the onboarding process.
• Support departmental volunteer needs by helping to identify skilled volunteers as needed while assessing skill sets within the onboarding process (WG, Development, Finance, IT, Community and Medical Relations, Office and Brand + Communications).
• Establish and monitor best practices throughout the chapter to ensure medical, community and volunteer external constituents remain engaged as well as improving the overall experience.
• Collaborate with Director of Corporate Relations to recruit, identify talent and support corporate partners by connecting the volunteer vision with that of our corporate partnership.
• Lead in strategy for thanking and stewarding volunteers to foster their engagement with Make-A-Wish.
• Liaise with the Manager of Community Fundraising in providing customized support and expertise of volunteers in all areas.
Volunteer Training & Education:
• Collaborate with Chapter departments to train new volunteers to support departmental needs.
• Work with chapter and department staff on designing a training schedule that fits the volunteer needs of the chapter, its communities and departments.
• Conduct and attend community gatherings in all boroughs with leaders and volunteer prospects to engage, recruit and engage Mission Delivery.
• Attend and participate in trainings of volunteers to ensure they complete onboarding.
Medical Eligibility & Outreach:
• Supervise management of leads.
• Provide system improvements for diagnosis verification, wish clearance and support all trainings necessary.
• Support connectivity with high level community and medical partners; i.e. Mount Sinai Health System.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
• Understanding and knowledgeable of culturally competent practices and diverse communities.
• Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and achieve objectives.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills.
• Working knowledge of local communities, childhood development and childhood illnesses and treatments.
• Social media savvy for research purposes, database experience and computer proficiency, i.e.: Salesforce and Raiser’s Edge a plus.
• Strong management and leadership skills.
• Self-motivated, team oriented and highly organized with strong attention to detail.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
• 4-7 years’ experience in nonprofit, volunteer management, community agency or hospital program services.
• Bachelor’s Degree in public health, human services child development or social work (MPH or MSW a plus).
• Show ability to motivate and support a diverse constituency in a team-oriented atmosphere.
• Commitment to and a passion for the mission of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All staff may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed. The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies.