If you’re in the workforce, perhaps going back to school is nostalgic. When you’re a student it means the end of summer freedom.
But for one teen wish kid from the Netherlands “Back to School” meant getting her wish to be a U.S. high school student for the day after missing a year of her own due to a diagnosis of Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Here are 8 amazing things that Esley experienced as a student at Calhoun High School in Merrick, NY on Long Island:
- She became a Calhoun Colt! Esley was shipped a large swag bag of Calhoun gear and some American candy by the student body to prepare her for her big day.
- Like many New York students, she began the day with a bagel.
- She rode a yellow school bus. They do not have school buses in the Netherlands (they generally ride bikes everywhere).
- She arrived at school (not at all typical) to a large banner welcoming her to Calhoun.
- She spent the day just being a high school student – exactly what she wanted.
- She shared her culture with Calhoun. During Sculpture 4 class, Esley passed out Dutch delicacies, as students gathered around her, eager to learn more about her culture and education.
- She went to the local strip mall for lunch, a privilege for upper classmen with cars. She was shocked that there was a student parking lot!
- She attended Colt Fest after school - Esley got to see the Colts in action, including the Cheer Leading Squad.